Monday, July 4, 2011

Piano Neck Purse - Crochet Photo tutorial


I am going to keep publishing crochet patterns as long as I have a computer, internet connection, a hook and a couple of hands! I love Crochet Patterns for Beginners because there's more people wanting to learn to crochet than experts looking for free patterns at random blogs like mine. Also, there is just way too much satisfaction when you learn to make your own accessories, clothes, whatever you can make. You have your brain and your hands and we all have time for what we like, so if you can do it, what are you waiting for? Stop consuming and begin producing!


I made this small purse (5x6") thinking of something to put my phone and my money in if I wanted to go out without having to carry a huge bag (think of the heat of summer time in Texas!). Plus, hang it from your neck if you ride a bike! You can add a button or magnetic clips inside, don't limit your imagination. Why a Piano? I love pianos. I am a musician, I took a few piano lessons when I was little but later I switched to string instruments and, well, a piano is not as affordable as a guitar but that didn't change how much I love the vibrations that piano keys emit when played. ~ 

I had published this pattern in Spanish before so it was time to share with the English readers too. Ready? Reminder: all my patterns in this blog are written in American English.

You'll need:

  • Black, white and optional color yarn (I used Pale Rose by Berroco Weekend) preferably #3 or #4 Ply (if you want to keep the same dimensions 5x6" or you can use bigger yarn for bigger purse if it is your desire). At least 50 mt of your base color (Pale Rose) and 25 mt of each black and white. If you have scraps I'd recommend you to use only those that are same ply. Better if they're the same brand.
  • Hook. I used a 4 mm. Find a match for your type of yarn.
  • Scissors.


Stitches you need to be able to work:

  • Chain Stitch 
  • Single Crochet Stitch
  • Slip Stitch
  • You'll learn how to do Long Single Crochet (sometimes called Extended)
Not sure how to work them? Check out my Crochet Friday Series for posts with videos.

I abbreviate like this: St - Stitch, Ch - Chain, SC - Single Crochet, SlSt - Slip Stitch, R# - Round or Row, LSC# - Long Single Crochet in the Row # (I will explain this one as we advance, it's pretty easy, don't sweat); CO - Color Optional (my Pale Rose), CB - Color Black, CW - Color White.

Written instructions begin here!

With your CO, work 21 Ch. In the second Ch from your hook begin SC all the way (20 SC) back to your beginning point. Ch1 and turn your work.

R2: SC 20, Ch1 and turn.
R3: SC 20, Ch1 and turn.
R4: SC 20, with a strand of CW work 1Ch (see photo below). Then turn.


R5-R9: SC 20, Ch1 and turn.
R10: SC 20, with a strand of CB work 1Ch (see photo below, this is your second color change). Then turn.


Before starting with R11 I shall explain how to make the Long Single Crochet stitches. It is very simple, it's a regular Single Crochet but it has to be stitched in a row below, not in the row we are at right now. For example:


In the picture above I numerated the rows. We will be working LSC in the 4th row for this piano pattern, so that will be abbreviated LSC#4. As you see I made the first SC of the row, where the piano keys begin. The trick to the LSC is this: when pulling the yarn through the loop in the 4th row and finishing the stitch you have to keep the yarn pretty loose or you'll get a cinched stitch. Look at the pattern:

That's: (1SC, 1LSC#4) x 3
R11: (1SC, 1LSC#4) x3, 1SC, (1SC, 1LSC#4) x2, 1SC, (1SC, 1LSC#4) x3, 2SC. Ch1 and turn.

Note for all those out there making fun of us, crocheters: we probably do more math, than you do, in our spare time.

If you're not sure of how it's done, follow each part of R11 with this picture:

Above, from right to left: A group of 3 (1SC + 1LSC#4), 1SC, a group of 2 (1SC + 1LSC#4), 1 SC, another group of 3 (1SC + 1LSC#4), 2SC. Ch1 and turn. 
R12: SC 20, with CO make 1Ch and turn. Here you made a 2nd row of black and now you must switch to your base color, my Pale Rose. 

R13-R23: SC 20, Ch1 and turn.

R24: SC 20 and fasten off. It should look like this:

Yes, the strand showing where you started is not at your right, but left, we finished in the opposite side. If you don't feel comfortable with that, just add another row of CO before fastening off.
Now, I want you to be able to recognize what's the right and the wrong side of your crochet, since we are going to have to make a second piece, just like this one above, and Single-Crochet them together. We must pay attention to what's the right side of the crocheted fabric, since the piano keys (long single crochet stitch) look different on each side:


Above: I like to call this my right side, the side I want to be showed. Why? because the strands of yarn are tighter and give the look I want for the key. 

Below: This is my wrong side, the side I want facing the inside of the purse. I don't like how the strands of yarn form a V. This is something almost impossible to avoid, due to the dynamic of the stitch.


If you genuinely don't care about this, don't even listen to me. I ♥ perfection. I am a little-big neurotic in that sense. Here are both panels: 


How to stitch them together?

Single Crochet is the answer. Stitching them together. Here you have 2 options. You can put wrong sides facing each other and stitch the edges with SC and it would look like the bag I show in this pattern. OR, if you want to give more depth to the inside of the bag, put right sides facing each other and stitch the edges and when you're done, pull the bag inside out. For this tutorial I am going to do the first option, wrong sides facing each other. I like the finish of the edges for this little purse. 

Start again with a slipknot in your hook. Ch2. On the very first stitch available of the top left side of your panels work 1SlSt. In the same stitch work 1SC and continue SC all around the edges of the purse. When you get to the end of each side remember to make a corner. Corners are (1SC, Ch1, 1SC) in the same corner stitch.


When you get to the end of your right side of the panels, work as many chains you wish (base this on the length you want for your strap). See:


At the end of your chain strap, work 1 SlSt in each of the 2 Ch where you started. Work 1 SlSt as well on into top of next St:

Joining with a SlSt the Chain Strap with the beginning at the top left side of the panels
Now fasten off and weave in ends. If you don't know how to, check out this post for specific instructions: Finishing techniques.

This pattern is Public Domain
BUT not MY photos.
You can share (copy, distribute, transmit) this work
and tweak (make changes) it.
A simple link to this post will do it, do not copy paste and put your name under or you will remember me saying this every  time you bite your tongue, hit your bare toes with furniture corners or run out of milk when you crave for cereal. Karma will get you. 



PSST!
I want to keep my patterns free of charge, but if you feel like giving something back, it's greatly appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment